As the week comes to an end, I have to share an experience I just had last weekend. I am a New Year’s baby, and one of my most favorite things to do for me, is go camping in the desert. Since we had to get rid of our old trailer and truck several years ago, the opportunity to do this had not happened in a very long time. However, we did get up very early on January 1st and head out to the desert! Such an exciting time indeed. That is until we had a little mishap. You see, I have a very sensitive nose…..it is actually a curse. I have learned over the years to just try and keep it to myself as those who know me best find this rather irritating. When we first gathered in the motorhome in the afternoon, I smelled exhaust from the generator. I of course let everyone know, and yet none of them seemed to be disturbed by it so I just wrote it off as my sensitive nose at it again. We enjoyed our evening and went to bed. I kept waking up and wishing that the smell would go away…..I remember hiding my head under my sleeping bag so I could breath. I got up at about midnight or so and had a tummy ache. My poor hubby had to go and fetch my Pepcid from the car in 19 degree weather. I took one pill and nothing, then a second and still really no relief so I just went back to bed. At about 6 am I had to get up and go to the bathroom, and while in the bathroom nearly passed out. A wave of heat came over me and I barely made it to the front of the motor home. I told my hubby that I really wasn’t feeling well at all and laid down on the couch. Laying down seemed to help, but I still didn’t feel well. The others began to wake and came into the front of the motorhome. I explained I wasn’t feeling well and thought that perhaps I had developed an intolerance to champagne since that is the only thing I had consumed the evening before that might make me feel this way. Then, as we were talking my girlfriend who was in the back of the motorhome made a very large couple of “thuds”! I told her hubby, go see if she is OK!! Well, she was not, in fact she had passed out and was out cold. We all had a spike in adrenalin and hurried to get her out of the motorhome and into the fresh air. It was now very clear to us all that we were experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning. So, here I was with only my long underwear on, no socks because of the heat wave that had overcome me when I thought I was going to pass out, standing out in the now 21 degree weather. It was touch and go there for a few minutes as to whether or not we were going to have to call 911. My girlfriend, we will call her Kelly, finally came too and we were watching her like hawks. My hubby started a fire so we could all stay warm and steered clear of the motorhome. Of course we were all under the influence of this carbon monoxide, and certainly not on our “A” game, and just sat there, staring at the fire reflecting on what had just happened to us all. My friend Kelly has a very sensitive system and so we were all very worried about her. Finally at about 1pm we decided it was time to take a trip to town and buy carbon monoxide detectors and get a bite to eat. I had started a new eating program on December 26th, but decided this was not the day to worry about a special diet. I must tell you that was the best pizza I have ever eaten in my life! And, while we could have dwelled on the negative of this situation, I reminded everyone that everything happens for a reason. While we may not ever know what that reason is, we must embrace the situation, learn from it, and know that this experience will most likely save other lives down the road, or at the very least impact somebodies life tremendously. Kelly’s husband felt bad because he did have a detector in the motor home, but when in storage he removes the fuse because it drains the battery. My words to him, “Do not feel bad, you will never forget to put the fuse back in again!” This alone may be the very reason this happened. Embrace all things, situations, trials, triumphs in your life with only positive thoughts! It is a fact that you cannot have a negative thought and a positive thought at the same time. In addition, what we think about GROWS! So, choose to think only positive thoughts! And then enjoy how your life is forever changed!
There is not such thing as chance, coincidence or luck♥.
Priscilla L. Brooks, Entrepreneur at Heart♥
#MKMMA #CILLASMKMMA #2014MKMMA